Monday, October 24, 2011

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

The waiting wasn't the hard part; it was knowing that the waiting would soon come to an end that hurt the most.  I have been a Coldplay fan since their first EP's "Brothers & Sisters" and "Castles", but like any other music enthusiast, no one could have imagined their forthcoming popularity; though it's no surprise that their popularity continues to grow.  No other band has the ability to cross genres from Alternative Rock - Hip-Hop - Heavy Rock - Country - Synth/Pop, and still keep it relatively Coldplay.  Their music is never about how catchy, how danceable, or how many "oohs" & "ahhs" you can sing along to. It's always about how effective it is in the end.  If a million people hated their music, but one person loved every minute, then it was worthwhile.  Their music is genuine, it's uplifting, and most importantly...it's powerful.
All of you know how excited I was about this album; so i'm going to take this opportunity to give an in-depth, track by track review of Coldplay's fifth studio album Mylo Xyloto:
# 26


Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto


Mylo Xyloto  - Chris Martin on Piano & Johnny Buckland on Guitar, what more can you ask for?  I can't wait to wake up in the morning with this playing in the background and the sun hitting my face; it's gonna' be a great day.

Hurts Like Heaven - I'm gonna' jump the boat right now and say this is my favourite song off the album.  Chris's ability to find rhythms and rhymes that fit perfectly to certain tempos is unparalleled.  This introductory track gives all four members a chance to reintroduce themselves to the world.  The lyrics, the beat, the chords - I just can't get enough.  Plus, the first time I heard this song was live. That never hurts. 

Paradise - Synth based melody, heavily distorted bass guitar and a hip-hop infused back beat does not spell out Coldplay; but because of their innovation and charisma as a band, they pull off one hell of a song and the second single off Mylo

Charlie Brown - Without a doubt, my second favourite song off the album.  What impressed me the most was their production and how well they incorporated every single sound.  Every instrument has a chance to stand out and have it's own spotlight.  Pay attention to the extra background voice at 1:10, subtle yet extremely effective.  If you asked me to give you just one song off the album to listen to, it would be this one.  (Hurt's Like Heaven is for me =)

Us Against The World - This song builds and builds, then softly sets you back down to reality.  It is a beautiful song with Will Champion backing up his partner in a melodic harmony.  "Through chaos as it swirls, it's us against the world". I think I found my new favourite lyric. 

M.M.I.X - Roman numeral for 2009, a synth, spacey based introduction to Coldplay's first single:

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (ETIAW) - This song totally grew on me.  I was skeptical at first because I couldn't shake the fact that it was so different, not just compared to past Coldplay songs, but to music in general.  Essentially, ETIAW is made up of three parts: Verse/Breakdown/Chorus.  It's one enormous build up, which is probably the reason why they use it as their last song in their live setlist. 

Major Minus - Other reviews have pinned this as the evil cousin of the album and I couldn't agree more.   What stands out the most to me is the bass riff that Guy Berryman performs on this song.  High to low, dragging notes makes him the focal point of the track. 

U.F.O - This was the one that reminded me the most of their older songs.  Chris Martin is a phenomenal songwriter with an even better voice.  

Princess Of China Feat. Rihanna - This was the song that shook Coldplay fans.  It's fine if Coldplay featured in Hip-Hop music, but not the other way around.  Though I have to say, as skeptical as I was, this song couldn't work without Rihanna; the chorus was meant for her.  Worth a listen. 

Up In Flames - This one was oddly one of my favourites as well.  Purely Chris Martin, he produces certain melodies that only a certain few can imagine.  Call me crazy, but I can't scratch the feeling that this should be used in a Disney film...no?  Give it another go. 

A Hopefully Transmission - The third and final intermission to the album.  I love the use of shakers and cowbells...

Don't Let It Break Your Heart - The pick-me-upper if you will. Can be compared to Coldplay's Politik. A booming, fast paced, instrument driven song, where Chris's voice is mostly used as back-up to the guitars and drums. 

Up With The Birds - A fitting ending to another epic tale of Coldplay.  Almost like a goodbye and hope to see you soon rendition.  Johnny breaks through half way into the song and Coldplay is at it again; this time with a more country feel.  A Great ending to another great album.

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
5/5
Recommended:
Hurt's Like Heaven
Charlie Brown
Up In Flames
Princess of China
Us Against the World



No comments:

Post a Comment