Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Arkells - Michigan Left

Nothing is ever good enough for the people you care about, so why is it so hard to believe that nothing is good enough for you?  Self deprecation happens to everyone whether you like it our not, and everyone has their own way of dealing with such torment.  For me, I have my friends, my family and my music.  No not my own, just yet, but music that I believe was written specifically for me, right for this moment. Albums that should just be named "Jason's album".  Motivation is always hard to find, but when it comes by, its easy to let go of, that's why we always search for it.  I haven't been finding too much music lately, what with all the post grad business, but that doesn't mean i've stop listening; luckily I found an album that catered to what I was feeling at the time.  The Arkells is a Canadian band from Hamilton Ontario and their sophomore album Michigan Left doesn't shy too far away from their first album, Jackson Square.  You can hear the influence of other great Canadian bands such as Toyko Police club and The Trews in their music.  Possible contender for album of the year at the Juno's.....nothing like an Arcade Fire Grammy, but never a bad thing to support a fellow Canadian band.
#25

Arkells - Michigan left
The Arkells is a true Rock & Roll band, no need for showmanship, no gimmicks or crazy light shows, they speak through their music, their instrument and their charisma.  Every time I listen to their music, I try to picture them writing it, then performing it and having the time of their lives.  I remember playing with my first band back in high school, and even when it wasn't music any of us really truly loved, we made it from scratch. Our identity was entirely in this music and it was overwhelming.  There was a video of them recording "On Paper"and it just reminded me of that moment where the four of us finished writing a song, and on that final note we all stopped and looked at each other and said...."yea!" Great moment, better feeling.  During "Michigan Left", right away you can pick out the Tokyo Police Club in every strum.  The fun, funky rhythm, with a little mix of reggae, really uplifts anyones sub-par feelings towards life.

I always tell people when i'm teaching them an instrument, even before I teach them anything, is to just play.  Play whatever you can or whatever you know, because more times then not, you hear something no one else can when you're just having fun.  Music usually starts off not what it is intended to sound like, much like life itself.  If you wish for life to turn out the way you intend it to be, you're straight out of luck buddy, 'cause that doesn't even make sense.

Arkells - Michigan Left
3.5/5
Recommended songs:
On Paper
Michigan left
Book Club
Kiss Cam
Whistleblower

No comments:

Post a Comment