Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams

Anticipation is kind of a dangerous thing, wouldn't you agree?  When having such high hopes for something in particular, in your head you can only foresee two things happening:
1) Everything goes horribly wrong.  All your nightmares come true and all you want to do is run back home, crawl into fetal position and pretend your somewhere in Ecuador...or
2) All positive thoughts come to fruition and everything you wanted to go right, goes right!

Then you get these seldom once in a lifetime experiences where anticipation becomes an after thought.  Where only the conclusion occupies your mind because you don't want it to end.

I had the privilege to meet all five band members of Lord Huron, and I couldn't help but be taken aback at how humble and genuine these folks were.  I waited a mere year for their album to release, but they gave me an experience worth waiting a lifetime. 
#29


Lord huron has such a peculiar sound to them, in which you can't quite place your finger on.  Their afro-cuban, Western, Alternative rock flair can't be compared with anyone, or anything else I've heard, which is why I took such a great interest in them.  Right from the get go you can hear how synchronized and unique their instruments are played; the guitar riff in "She Lit a fire", the multi-layer percussions in "The Man Who Lives Forever", the delayed bass in "Lonesome Dreams".  Yet the one thing that stands out the most is the lyrics.  

I read a review on Lord Huron prior to Lonesome Dreams where the writer stated: "great bands create songs, but great lyricists create stories".  Ben Schneider (lead singer and founder of Lord Huron) is an amazing story teller, creating themes and rhythms that are extremely difficult to mimic.  The music and the stories he writes come together in such a way that you can't help but be engulfed in the atmosphere he creates.  Here are some of my favourites. 

"She Lit A Fire" - I spent countless hours trying to perfect this guitar riff that my fingers grew calluses over their calluses; totally worth it.  What impressed me the most is how this song is constructed. Each instrument has its own characteristic where one doesn't out shine the other.  It's a perfect blend of lyrical and instrumental ingenuity.  

- "I have been trying to find her
Want to give what I got
She lit a fire but now 
she's in my every thought"


"Ghost on the Shore" - The first time I heard this song, I pictured myself sitting on a rock in the middle of nowhere, waiting for a reason to leave but never finding one.  If you listen to the lyrics, it's funny how it resembles just that.  

- "Die if I must let my bones turn to dust
I'm the lord of the lake and I don't want to leave yet
All who sail off the coast ever more
Will remember the tale of the ghost on the shore"



"The Stranger" - The Stranger is by far my favourite Lord Huron track so far.  It is extremely uplifting, yet deeply meaningful at the same time.  I always find something different when I listen to this song, it's difficult to describe but nonetheless it's a beautiful song.  If you haven't already, I highly recommend listening to The Stranger.

- "All words of comfort can not take away my doubt
I've decided if it kills me I'll find out what you're about"


Once everything is said and done, you feel a little silly how anxious you were at the beginning.  How your heart races and your brows dampen just from the thought, but thats the beauty of anticipation.  We live for that.  We live for the thrill, for the feeling that only you in the entire world is experiencing this moment.  It's a great feeling and I really hope it happens again...I'll just have to wait. 



Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams
5/5
Recommend Songs:
She Lit A Fire
Lonesome Dreams
The Man Who Lives Forever
Ghost on the Shore
Brother

Favorite lyric: "I said life without end wouldn't have any meaning / The journey to death is the point of our being /Well the point of my life is to be with you babe / But there ain't enough time in the life that they gave me" - Man Who Lives Forever


No comments:

Post a Comment