Friday, September 14, 2012

Stars - The North

I love Canadian music, there is so much emotion and talent that others take for granted. That being said, I do admit there is a lot of Canadian music that may sound the same and have the same themes and rhythms, but to me, I couldn't ask for anything less.  Each time I listen to a Canadian artist, whither it be the Arkells, Feist, Brocken Social Scene, Toyko Police Club, Arcade Fire, Rush, or even Shad, each one of these artist mimic what it means to be Canadian through their music.  What it means to be Canadian can be debated, but all I know when I think canadian music: euphoric.
#27

I get such a rush every time I listen to Stars.  Every album they release, there are at least 4-5 different tracks that give me goosebumps; it's like they have a nack of sharing...freedom.  Their latest instalment "The North", i'm proud to say, never let up with those goosebumps.  The entire album hits a different spot with the same feeling; such a rush.
Their first single off the record, "Hold On When you Get Love and Let Go When You Give It", is not generic by any means.  For one, the title is ridiculous and their lyrics are all around the map.  But for front man Torquil Campbell, and front lady Amy Millan, ridiculous is usually whats hit's the spot.  I couldn't agree more.  I couldn't help but sing "take the weakest thing in you, and beat the bastards with it", in the car, at the gym, in my sleep.
"The North" was the next song that caught my attention.  Listen to the chorus during a long walk and don't tell me you didn't fall into deep thought.  Such a subtle, yet strong chorus, definitely worth the same title as the album.
Finally, "Through the Mines" has Arcade Fire written all over it.  Amy Millan and RĂ©gine Chassagne of Arcade Fire, are two of the most talented, Canadian, and under rated female singers in Canadian music today.  So poise yet so strong, "Through the Mines" simply brings you to another world.

I did not grow up listening to Canadian music when I was younger.  My sister was the one who usually chose the music in the house, in which I learned the acronym for R&B at a very young age.  But I haven't been more proud to say that the music that my country produces can easily contend with the best.  Rock on Canada!

Rating: 4.5/5
Recommended Songs:
Hold On When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It
The North
Through The Mines
Backlines
A Song Is a Weapon

No comments:

Post a Comment